Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Introduction - A Note From the Author

(This is the Introduction from my poetry book. I will be posting my poems randomly as opposed to how I arranged them in my book.)

I believe that my “love affair” with words has been going on since I first began to talk, I think the notes from my teachers on my early report cards will attest to this, “Leann is a good student, but she talks to much.” In the 2nd grade my teacher, Mrs. Meister, found that she could keep me quiet so everyone else could finish their work by having me write short stories. She would tell me how very nice my stories were and that someday I might have one of my books in that very school library. Years later I read one of those stories that managed to survive time, it was terrible, but I guess it was good for a 2nd grader. Then in the 4th grade, I think it was, I had an assignment to write a poem for English. My poem received an A+ and it was placed on display in the main hallway with a few chosen others. This poem was “Hillside Dream”. From that point on I found pleasure in writing poetry. Most of my poems were written during my teenage years, but a few were written later. I have not composed a poem in many years now.
I have placed the more upbeat poetry towards the front and the sillier and more depressing ones towards the back. The artwork throughout the book are things that I have done and hung onto for some reason. Some of my favorite pieces have been lost or misplaced though.
Everyone seems to read something a little bit different into works of art, that also includes poetry. So read what you will into these, choose to like or dislike according to your own tastes. No offense was meant towards anyone, they were merely written to express a thought or feeling at the time that I wrote them. Have fun and I hope you enjoy some of them at least.

Leann (Heinrichs) Strobel
1/21/95

No comments: